Youth Essay Contest
Open to all Martin County area middle and high school students, we hope our annual Youth Essay Contest will inspire young people in our community to learn more about the true meaning of Memorial Day.
Forest Hills Community Outreach, a program of Forest Hills Palm City Chapel and Forest Hills Memorial Park, will announce the winners of their Memorial Day Youth Essay Contest on May 29, 2017 in a special awards ceremony during the Memorial Day Patriotic Remembrance.
Six winners of this contest will share cash prizes totaling $1,600! Winning essays will be featured on Forest Hills Palm City Chapel's website, social media pages, and other related print and electronic media.
This essay contest was open to all Martin County area middle and high school students, and submissions were accepted at the funeral home during the month of April 2017. All entries had to be presented in a personal essay format, with 500 to 525 words on the true meaning of Memorial Day.
1. Eligibility: Entrants must be middle or high school students enrolled in the Martin County area School District. Entries from private, charter and home schools will also be accepted.
2. Format: Entries must be presented in the format of a Personal Essay, between 500-525 words, using a double-spaced 12-point font and must include a bibliography (not included in the word count).
3. Topic: “The True Meaning of Memorial Day”. Students are encouraged to discuss the essay theme with teachers, parents and friends. The essay should be positive and clearly focused on the theme. Teachers and parents may check essays, but the content of the essay must be that of the student.
4. Research: Research is essential in creating a quality essay. Please cite library resources, Web URLs with access dates, and personal interviews.
5. Bibliography: The bibliography must cite at least two references. Entries that do not include a bibliography will be disqualified.
6. Essay Entries: Must be submitted and received between April 1 and April 30, 2017. Entries cannot be acknowledged or returned, and they become the property of Forest Hills Funeral Homes, Memorial Park & Crematory. Essays should be mailed to: Forest Hills Palm City Chapel, ATTN: Community Outreach Coordinator Karina Danessi, 2001 SW Murphy Road, Palm City, FL 34990. Entries must be accompanied by a 3x5 index card, attached but not stapled to essay containing the following information: contestant’s name, mailing address, phone number, name of school, grade level (ex: 8th grade; 10th grade), student ID number, and name of parent/guardian who will accompany contestant at the May 29, 2017 Essay Contest Awards Ceremony.
7. Evaluation Process: Winning essays will be selected on the following basis:
>25 points—Originality and creativity
>25 points—Compliance with the assigned topic
>20 points—Factual accuracy
>15 points—Grammar and organization of content
>15 points—Scope of research
8. Awards: $500 will be awarded to one each middle and high school first place winner; $200 will be awarded to one each first place runner-up at middle and high school levels and $100 will be awarded to one each second place runner-up at middle and high school levels. Each winner and his/her parent/guardian must be present to receive their prize. Winners will be notified prior to the May 29 Essay Contest Awards Ceremony.